Sunday 25 August 2013

Latest project...

So after visiting the Quilting Festival at the NEC, Birmingham the other day I thought I had better have a go at some of the lovely goodies I had purchased. Rather than doing my usual trick of leaving them to languish in the cupboard and forget about them...


The first stand I came across at the Festival was from Mary Gamester and I got very excited because she was selling something called 'Transfer Paint'. She demonstrated how you use the Transfer Paints to paint on paper and then transfer onto fabric. This meant I could combine my love of painting and sewing/quilting. Brilliant. So I  purchased the paints and Mary's book Transfer Painting.

So I read the book, which has lots of lovely pictures...
Chose a design and started painting.


Once the design has been painted and has dryed you transfer the design using a very hot iron. You need to make a sandwich of baking parchment, your fabric (polycotton, polyesters), the design paper (paint side down)  and another layer of baking parchment. You then iron with a dry, hot iron. And this is what happens. Magic...



I then added some free motion stitching to bring out the features in the design. Now this is only my second attempt at this, so pretty chuffed with the results. Let me know what you think.


I will back this now with a nice blue/starry fabric and turn into a mini wall hanging.

Mary Gamester's website address is as follows www.mary.gamester.co.uk for more information about Transfer Painting.






2 comments:

  1. Brilliant Theresa the stitching makes it.
    Dawn x

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Mary was demonstrating and in her book she says you need to add some form of stitching to bring the picture to life.

    x

    ReplyDelete